Friday, January 9, 2009

They story behind the name...

So, if you know our family, you know we have a story behind each of our children's names. I'll give you the concise version:

Payton Nelson - loosely named after Gary Payton, formerly of the Seattle Supersonics, Bill's favorite NBA team, because of a dream I had long before he was conceived (while the Sonics were in the playoffs and Bill was screaming "Go, Payton!" all the time!!) in which we had a boy and named him Payton. It stuck. Nelson is my maiden name.

Carter Nelson - we say he was named after Vince Carter, also formerly of the Sonics, but in reality I think I was watching too much ER back in 2000 ("Paging Dr Carter!!").

Risa May - If she had been a boy (heaven help me!) she would have been Mason, cuz Desmond Mason was playing for the Sonics and it would have been a nice combo of my dad's name MAynard NelSON (brilliant, huh?). Instead, she got the May from Grandpa (who passed away just weeks before she was conceived). Risa means "laughter" in Spanish. Grandpa Maynard always use to say I (Sarah) laughed just like Sarah in the bible (always the pastor), so it seemed an appropriate way to remember him.

Now for Sage....

Yunyi, her middle name, is the name given to her by the orphanage. We would like her to retain some part of her Chinese heritage. We are waiting to see it written in Chinese (Cantonese, specifically) characters to get the exact meaning. We think the first part means "cloud".

As for her first name, we had tossed about a few names, and Sage had made the short list, but hadn't decided on one until we received the referral. We received the referral two days before Thanksgiving. As I prepared for the big holiday meal, I realized the only time I use the spice sage is at Thanksgiving time. Her name will always remind us that she is our little Thanksgiving blessing.

5 comments:

Traci Mitchell said...

I love the same Sage and she is very cute. Lucky you.

Beste' said...

And Sage makes 6! I still remember Bill saying at Thanksgiving, "Our family is not complete, yet. We have 6 dining room chairs and only 5 people so far. We need our new little girl home."
Love and blessings to you all.

Leslie said...

Bill and Sarah, I am sitting here with tears streaming down my face. Tears of joy for your family but also knowing the pain and anxiety of the wait. Congratulations! We are so happy for you. Know that you are in my prayers as you prepare for Sage's arrival home! Blessings,
Leslie

April said...

Thanks for sharing! I would have never guessed about the boys' names'. Although, as I was smiling about your post, I quizzed Sean about the correlation between the names and a Seattle sports team and of course, he got it first guess.

Kathy Kalab said...

What a cutie! We are so happy for you and I really like the blog as way to share your journey. It was also very interesting to learn how you chose name for all of your kids and even your newest.

Kathy