Sunday, August 9, 2009

Baptism

Today was a special day. Sage Yunyi was baptized into the Lord's family this morning at our church. We had so many friends and family there it was amazing. Thank you to all of you who made the drive from Marysville (we miss you all still!!), you were part of our adoption journey from the beginning, we are thrilled many of you were able to be here for this day. Sage, if I may say so myself, looked ridiculously adorable in her white Chinese dress. The glasses were not initially part of the ensemble, but surprisingly I think she was able to pull off the look :)

I was not sure how Sage would react to the whole baptism since she really didn't understand what was going on, but she seemed to enjoy being in the spotlight and was especially delighted by the water in the baptismal font. After she was baptized by our friend, Ron Mallory, Sage reached on into the font, grabbed a handful of water and poured it on her head. Apparently she wanted to make sure the whole baptism thing really stuck! It was pretty cute. In the picture below we have her Godparents, Tom and Bridgett Frodsham and their two girls (in the light pink dresses), Maddy and Emmy; then our family, Payton, Risa, Bill, me, Sage and Carter; and Ron Mallory.
As some of you know, this whole transition since we came home with Sage has not been an easy one for me. There were unexpected emotions and a definite loss of control for me. God has stretched me, farther than I thought I could handle. But, it is days like these, surrounded by friends, old and new, family from near and far and an amazingly supportive church family that make me want to smack myself over the head and go, "DUH! Snap out of it and start being amazed by what He has done for you!" I think God gave me each song we did in worship this morning for a different reason:

Everlasting God: "Strength will rise as we wait upon the Lord....."
I need His strength because mine is not enough. So many things are happening this month that we have been waiting for: baptisms, birthdays, surgery, a house. I need to be reminded that He uses these times to build us up as only He can.

Blessed Be Your Name: "My heart will chose to say, "Lord Blessed Be your Name"
Even when I struggle, I will make the choice to bless His name. It's easy when things are going as I planned, not as easy when my life seems out of control. But I will sing His praise just the same.

And finally the old hymn, "I Stand Amazed" and it's beautiful uplifting chorus that I hope to hear as I fall asleep tonight:

"How marvelous, How wonderful, and my song shall ever be....
How marvelous, how wonderful is my Savior's love for me."



3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Don't forget "I'm trading my sorrow
I'm trading my shame
I'm laying it down for the joy of the Lord"

I gotta work on that one!!

Heather said...

It's always amazing how you can connect songs and verses to the different things that you may be experiencing at a particular time in your life. God's pretty cool like that :)

Sonya said...

What an awesome day!