Monday, March 15, 2010

Eleven months

Can this possibly be the same child who came into our lives just over 11 months ago? She sure wasn't smiling like this. I can't imagine what she must have been thinking that day. We looked different, talked different, we were complete strangers to her, yet she was thrust into our arms and removed from all that was familiar to her. Of course, we knew what she was in for. We knew she had three siblings at home eager to play with her and take care of her. We knew she had godparents, grandparents, friends and family anxious to meet her and spoil her like crazy. And we knew we, her mom and dad, would never leave her. We would love her and care for her forever. She'd never be left again. We knew that. But how could she? But she knows now. Eleven months later she understands. She loves to watch "Dora" with her big brother Payton while I go across the street to pick up Carter and Risa. She knows I'm coming back. She loves to play in our play tent with Carter and take baths with Risa. She screams when she sees her daddy, cuz she knows she's gonna get tickled. And when I leave she says, "Mommy home quick" cuz she knows I'm her mom and I'll always come back for her. Look at that smile. That's happy.

She lived in the orphanage from May 13, 2008 until April 13, 2009, the day we received her. Eleven months. I had been waiting for March 14, 2010 for a long time. That was yesterday. As of yesterday, Sage has been with us longer than she was in that orphanage. You should see the tears running down my face. Now that's happy.

7 comments:

April said...

Beautiful post Sarah! I'm glad that she is a part of your family and I am glad that we get to have her in our lives.

Sonya said...

She looks amazing! We are so happy for you all.

Sue said...

What a beautiful post, and I really like you saying as of today she been home longer then in an orphanage, and so much that you have done for her. She looks so radiant

Heather said...

When you're having a rough day, you should go back and read this again. I don't know how this couldn't turn your day around for the better.

Kurt Onken said...

Rejoicing with you!

Kathy T said...

Thank you for letting us be a little part of Sage's journey. We will enjoy watching her grow and I think maybe 'act' a bit too. God has truly blessed Sage and all of you.

Anonymous said...

Hi Sarah!
Sage is just adorable! It's been a privilege to see her blossom like a beautiful flower. She's had wonderful care from her family!!:)

take care,
hollym. Bethany Momma