Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Officially a citizen!!

We received Sage's certificate of citizenship today. She's a US citizen and she's got the papers to prove it. Of course, she's been a citizen since we reached US soil, but getting the document is always nice.

Today was also Payton's birthday. Hard to believe our little guy is eleven years old. He is such a kind, quiet, introspective boy. You will usually find him in some odd place with a book in hand. I have a picture of him reading upside down in the stair case. Crazy boy. Today was a good reminder of how quickly the time goes by. Eleven years old. How is that possible? Recently I have found myself yearning for the next stage to come along more quickly with Sage. You know, "I can't wait until she speaks more English", "I can't wait until she can fall asleep without me in the room", etc, etc. But I am trying to remind myself that by longing for the future I will miss the present. I will miss Sage saying, "nigh, nigh, mmmm (blowing a kiss)" to Risa each night as we tuck her in. I will miss her laughing at us all at dinnertime after we say, "Amen!". I will miss her babbling to us in Cantonese. A month ago I didn't think she'd ever communicate in English. She's certainly not speaking in sentences, but she mimics everything, knows quite a few words (uh-oh, RISA!, and elephant are a few favorites), and is using some signs to communicate her needs and wants. We are fortunate that she sleeps all night (still next to us in her crib) and naps for about an hour and a half each day. She seems comfortable here with our funny family.

I am feeling better. This transition has been tough on me as some of you know. I have been so grateful over the past week to have talked with some wonderful adoptive parents who have assured me the many emotions I have been working through are normal. God has put some amazing people in my path and I am so thankful. He's also blessed my with an incredibly supportive husband who happens to be the best dad in the world. I lost my dad a 6 years ago tomorrow. I know he is enjoying watching our family grow from Heaven, but I won't lie, I wish he were here. Love you, Dad.

4 comments:

Jolene Powell said...

That was a very touching narrative! Thank you for sharing your story. Your daughter is so cute!

Wen said...

Yah for Sage....Love that kid and already missing the chance to get more hugs and kisses. I am so bummed we will miss her baptism. I am sorry you are missing your dad today. These are the times you miss them the most, but he knows, and he is so very proud of you! Love ya!

Steffie B. said...

I'm so glad to hear that you are feeling better.....it takes time....we will be praying for Sage's upcoming eye apppointment....keep us posted! ;)

April said...

Thinking about you girlfriend.