Saturday, September 26, 2009

Re-Adoption Day!

Last Friday we went to court. Carter was thrilled, I think he was hoping he'd get to go to jail too. No such luck. This was a court appearance we were excited for. In order to receive a birth certificate from the state of Washington we had to re-adopt Sage in the WA state court system. She has legally been ours since our Consulate Appointment at the US embassy in China and has been a US Citizen since our plane landed in Seattle on our return, but having a US issued birth certificate will make life a lot easier for us and for her in the long run. We were also able to officially change her birth date to August 9th, 2006.

We had a wonderful woman in Port Townsend, WA (herself a mother of 14, 9 of which were adopted!!) who helped us with all the paperwork. We decided to make the drive to Port Townsend (about 2 hours away) instead of doing the process in King County where we live because King County requires more fingerprinting, background checks, etc and is basically just a pain in the rear! It was a beautiful sunny day, perfect for a drive. We stopped in Bremerton for lunch at a fun rock/water park near the ferry dock.

The judge made it a fun occasion for us all. He himself had two adopted daughters. And Carter got to see handcuffs. It doesn't get much better than that for a 9 year old!

As we drove out of Port Townsend we went by this store, "Wild Sage". How awesome is that? Tomorrow we go back to the ocularist to get Sage's new eye. I can hardly believe it. I will post pictures as soon as I can.

1 comment:

Heather said...

I like how the wild sage place has a sign above the door that says "perfect endings" since you were at the end of the adoption process :)